What is Skin Maintenance
The skin is the largest organ in the human body and one of the beautiful things about it is that it shows what is going on inside. The first thing to do for the skin is to make sure that you eat the right foods, drink a lot of water and also, have a good skincare regimen.
Skin type and treatments
There are five general skin types: oily, dry, normal, combination and sensitive. Sensitive skin may be combined with any one of the aforementioned types, especially with dry skin; so always make sure to go for products with the sensitive label.
Dry Skin:If your skin tends to have an old appearance, looks ashy or feels tight, then it is considered dry. In more extreme cases, dry skin lacks elasticity and can be extremely sensitive to the sun, wind, and cold temperatures. Since you have dry skin, you have to make sure that you do not expose your skin to extreme weather for long periods of time and always moisturize
- Treatment: Find a moisturizing bath soap or body wash with natural oils like almond, coconut or olive oil. Any other oil of your choice is ok if you have preference. Weekly treatments are recommended for your skin. Fill a tub with honey, milk and half a cup of any nourishing oil and add boiling hot water to the mix. Wait for it is cool to your desired temperature then soak for as long as you want; the longer the better. For ladies, make sure to exfoliate every other day and always wash your makeup off. Since you have dry skin, exfoliate gently and every two days and moisturize every morning and night before bed. For makeup, make sure to use only the ones with natural products. Such brands like Bare Minerals comes highly recommended. Try their tinted moisturizer collection.
- Oily Skin: If your sebaceous glands are always on the fritz and your face looks as though you swam across the Olive Oil Ocean, then you have oily skin. Chances are, you tend to break out easily. Whenever you do, do not prick your pimples or blackheads.
- Treatment: Your skin tends to attract more dirt than dry skin, so wash your face twice a day with a good oil eliminating face scrub and warm water. Time for the big reveal…..Himalayas Herbals Excess Oil face scrub. Use it twice a day and it works so well you won’t have to blot.
- Normal Skin: Some consider normal skin to be combination skin, but it is not. If your skin is oily in the “T zone” and your nose while dry and taut on the cheeks, it is considered normal. It’s also considered normal if it changes with seasons (dryer in winter, oilier in summer). Normal skins can also be ‘Normal-To’s’ as in normal to oily or normal to dry.
- Treatment: Wash your face with cleansers that are designed for your normal/normal-to skin type. Wipe an alcohol free, hydrating toner all over the face. Apply moisturizer more frequently to dry skin.
- Combination Skin: Combination skin is comprised of two extreme skin types on one face. These situations occur when there is acne and a lot of oil in one area when the rest of the skin is generally dry (no oil)
- Two common examples are dry skin with papular and pustular acne on the cheeks or a normal skin with inflamed papular and pustular acne in the chin and mouth area.
- Treatment: Tend to each area appropriately as described above. If the acne is severe, consult a dermatologist or esthetician.
Multiple sessions spaced 2–3 weeks apart are required for maximum benefit.